Thursday, April 12, 2007

God Bless You, Mr. Vonnegut

It has been a while since I have blogged. It hasn't been for wont of material, but from a somewhat broken publishing infrastructure. I had been using a rich client app that maintained a lot of state and when I switched from my old, old Powerbook to my old Powerbook, I lost that state somehow. Now that I am on to my MacBookPro, I'm not sure I have a hope of recovering that state so I am starting fresh.

The catalyst was, of course, the passing of Mr. Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

I knew it was coming. I've known for the past ten years that it was coming. His death was an impending reality since before he attempted suicide in 1984. This reality is true for all of us, but it always seemed especially true for him. His passion for smoking was one long, slow attempt at suicide that ultimately failed (he died from brain injuries after a fall). The weight of the world was heavy on him, it is almost delicious irony that it was ultimately gravity that did him in.

I don't want to wax nauseatic about his importance to me. He'd hate that from what I know of him. Instead, I'll put a link
to one of my favorite stories from my life and one to the most beautiful commentary on his passing I could imagine.

"A purpose of human life, no matter who is controlling it, is to love whoever is around to be loved."
-- Kurt Vonnegut

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home