Saturday, July 21, 2007

Hanalei Wrapup

Our final day in Hanalei isn't until tomorrow (Monday doesn't count, we're leaving early), but I'll probably be packing and enjoying the day. It's amazing how quickly two weeks can pass.


We have a Tropical Depression in our neighborhood, but it is still sunny in long spurts. We'll go swimming in a bit, but as a soccer fan, I have to watch Beckham's American debut so I figured I'd knock out a blog entry.

It's been a great few days. It was my niece's birthday on Monday, so we got to celebrate again when they came to visit us on Tuesday. They live over on Oahu, so it was a short flight. (Apparently, they missed Nick Nolte by a day!) We are looking forward to spending the next week or so with them. As great as it is to have a place to stay in Hawaii, we don't get to see them enough. Unfortunately, we found out yesterday that there was a shark attack just off one of our favorite beaches. Apparently the victim was an attorney which puts an end to that joke about professional courtesy!

While my brother, niece and I were swimming in Hanalei, a guy walked by who looked like David Crosby. As Graham Nash owns (used to own?) the house a few doors down and Martin Sheen was here a few summers ago, it wasn't out of the question, but I didn't really think it was him. However, two days ago, on the way back from the store, we drove by him again and my wife was convinced it was him. When we got home, we mentioned this to my in-laws. My mother-in-law said, "Oh, yes, we saw him on the porch at the Nash house the other day when we went for a walk on the beach." So, there you have it. Apparently he is now on his upper porch watching the GICRA Championship in Hanalei Bay.

We've been eating a lot of leftovers recently, but one meal bears mentioning. We picked up some monchong and made this tomato and mango vinaigrette. Mmmm....






Yesterday, we had a phenomenal trip to Waimea Canyon, famously called "the Grand Canyon of the Pacific" by Mark Twain. (While I am thinking about it, I read Letters From Hawaii recently after my brother gave it to me. I quite enjoyed it and thought it would make a great movie). The sights were astonishing, but so was the presence of roosters at 4,000ft!



The air was immaculate and wonderfully cool. I wouldn't have minded just sitting up there and reading for a while, but we had a nice picnic before heading home.



On a side note, my first article for DevX recently went live. I am excited about the new association and opportunity to talk about SemWeb-related things and occasionally some of the work we are doing at Zepheira.

Ok, as expected, Beckham's first game was all hype, but it is exciting the amount of attention it is bringing to soccer. Now, if only my team can get a freaking stadium deal done, I'll be happy.

Sun's out, time to swim.

Dinner update: We decided not to create new leftovers, so we got takeout from Pizza Hanalei. *WOW*! It was excellent. Expensive, but excellent. Give 'em a try if you come back. Jason (and David Crosby) also recommends Bubba's Burgers, but we haven't had the pleasure yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home